Your decision to be a Christian is the most important and meaningful choice you can make in your life.
Becoming a Christian is not a magic potion to fix or cure all the problems and difficulties in this life. This may sound rather odd coming from a Christian author, but if you have heard this is the case, it simply is not true.
In the Bible, Jesus told his followers, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” In this same Bible passage Jesus also said “in me you may have peace”. In another Bible passage Jesus told his followers, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” You see, peace in your heart is what Jesus offers, and this is very valuable.
Now, many, many people make decisions to become Christian during troubling times in their lives. This is quite common. Pain, fear, and confusion are signals, or wake-up calls, that can direct us to God if we’ll heed them. The sad thing is for many of us it often takes far too many wake-up calls before we’ll listen. This was my case, so I know of what I speak. But God, through Jesus Christ, is waiting patiently to give us His love, grace, mercy, and peace. Jesus tells us “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.“
Do you have a sense that something is missing in your life? Have you come to realize that no person or material things will be able to fill this need, especially forever? Do you want to know for certain that you will have eternal life after you die? If so, it’s time for you to ask Jesus Christ to come into your life and begin developing a personal relationship with Him.
I will not tell you that being a Christian is easy. There is a cost to becoming a follower of Jesus. The cost is laying down your ways and begin living and thinking and behaving in the ways of Jesus. Jesus will be your Savior and He will also be your Lord.
Now, I want to make something very clear: laying down your ways to follow Jesus’ ways may sound frightening and maybe even sort of “religious” to you. It will sound that way until you have decided you want Jesus Christ and you embark on your life with Him. You will discover as you develop a relationship with Jesus that you want to do things His way because it’s how you were designed by God. Currently, you are living a worldly life. When you have Jesus Christ in you, you will be living a new life, spiritually speaking.
Here is truth about God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit that you need to believe, by faith, to become a Christian:
- God is the Creator of the world.
- God is Holy. He is perfect in love, mercy, and compassion, and He is perfect in purity and judgement.
- Jesus Christ is God’s only Son.
- Jesus Christ was sent to Earth by God to be the perfect sacrifice for our sin.
- Jesus Christ was born of a virgin – her name was Mary.
- Jesus Christ was crucified on a cross for our sin, He was buried, then God raised Him from the dead after three days.
- Jesus Christ went to heaven and sits at the right hand of God.
- Jesus Christ sent His own Spirit, the Holy Spirit, to live inside us, to communicate with us, to reveal to us our sin, to guide us, and to be our Comforter.
- Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven. There are not multiple ways or paths to get to heaven. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for God. He does not provide another plan except through his Son Jesus Christ.
- God’s love and grace and going to heaven is a free gift by belief and faith. There is nothing you can or need to do to “earn” your way to heaven or “earn” God’s love and grace. This is a difficult truth for many. In our human nature we want to believe we did something or we must do something to earn God’s favor.
If my words aren’t reaching your heart, please read the the Gospel of John, then come back here.
If you’re ready to begin this amazing journey with Jesus, you may say this prayer from your heart:
I believe that Jesus Christ is your only Son and that He was sacrificed on a cross for my sins, was buried, and then was raised from the dead. I have sinned and I need forgiveness for my sins. I want to know for sure I will be with you in heaven. I believe that Jesus Christ is your only way of forgiveness and your only way to heaven. I want to know the peace and love and grace you offer me through Jesus Christ. Please Jesus, by the Holy Spirit you sent, come into my life and make your home in my heart. I now believe, by faith, that you have. Thank you.
If you prayed this prayer, Jesus Christ, through the Holy Spirit lives in you! You have been washed and cleansed of your sins and you now have eternal security. You will be in heaven after your death on earth.
It’s very important that you find a Bible believing church that can come alongside you and where you can begin living your new life in Christ. You are very valuable. God has made you for a unique purpose and it would good to begin discovering who you are in your new life!
Bless you on your journey in Christ and maybe we’ll cross paths one day in this life. If not, I’ll see you in heaven!